Iran claims it has proof US drone invaded airspace

Revolutionary Guards Deputy commander's comments come after Pentagon says Iran fired on US drone in int'l airspace.

By
November 12, 2012 01:17
1 minute read.
US Navy RQ-4 Global Hawk drone [file photo]

US Navy RQ-4 Global Hawk drone 370 (R). (photo credit: Reuters / Handout)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

A senior commander in Iran’s Revolutionary Guard Corps said Sunday that Iran had documents to prove that a US drone had entered Iranian airspace.

IRGC deputy commander Brig.-Gen. Hossein Salami’s comments came a week after Pentagon officials announced that Iranian Su-25 fighter jets had fired on an unarmed US Predator drone on November 1, as it conducted what they said was routine surveillance in international airspace east of Kuwait, 26 kilometers off the coast of Iran.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


Salami was responding to questions regarding whether the drone had been in international airspace as the US had claimed, or whether it had entered Iranian airspace when the IRGC air force repelled it.

The IRGC commander said that the documents proved that Iran’s air force had not conducted any act of aggression against any aircraft in international airspace.

Iran was aware of international law regarding “incursions from alien aircraft,” Salami added.

“Certainly if the situation had been otherwise we would never have fired [at the drone],” Salami was quoted as saying by Mashregh News, a website close to the IRGC.

The drone incident comes almost a year after Iran reported that it had captured a US-operated Lockheed Martin RQ-170 Sentinel drone that had crashed in Iran. In April, IRGC officials said they had managed to reverse engineer technologies from the drone and were building a copy.

JPOST VIDEOS THAT MIGHT INTEREST YOU:

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Bushehr nuclear Iranian
August 5, 2014
Iran and the bomb: The future of negotiations

By YONAH JEREMY BOB