Government in talks to invest billions in Arab sector

Plan to shut funding gaps expected to go through despite involvement of some Arab citizens in recent terrorist attacks.

By GIL STERN STERN HOFFMAN
October 29, 2015 06:39
2 minute read.
DEMONSTRATORS GATHER in Sakhnin

DEMONSTRATORS GATHER in Sakhnin, October 13, 2015. (photo credit: JOINT ARAB LIST)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

The government plans to infuse billions of shekels in funding to Arab municipalities over the next five years, but it may take some weeks to negotiate terms of the deal, an Arab leader negotiating the budget increase told The Jerusalem Post on Wednesday.

The deal has long been in the works, with Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu deciding two months ago to transfer a budget supplement of NIS 900 million to Arab municipalities, but talks have intensified since the violence in past weeks and was not expected to be hindered by the involvement of Israeli Arab in recent terrorist attacks.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


“Nothing is finalized yet, but I hope it will be,” Sakhnin Mayor Mazen Ganaim, head of the National Committee of Arab Heads of Municipal Authorities, told the Post, after Channel 10 television said an agreement may be reached in the coming weeks.

“As long as nothing is signed, there is nothing to say,” Ganaim said of the report. He would only confirm that a few meetings had been held on the issue between the Arab leadership and the government.

President Reuven Rivlin has met several times about the proposed funding hike with Joint List head Ayman Odeh, Finance Minister Moshe Kahlon, Kulanu faction chairman MK Roy Folkman and Ganaim.

They have agreed in principle to increase funding for housing, education, boosting the employment of Arab women, infrastructure, welfare services and public transport.

Amnon Beeri-Sulitzeanu, co-executive director of the Abraham Fund Initiatives, an NGO dedicated to improving coexistence between Israel’s Arab and Jewish citizens, welcomed the talks, in remarks to the Post, “because it shows that the government recognizes the need to close social-economic gaps between Jews and Arabs.”



This includes the need to combat racism and increase Arab integration in the civil service and other sectors, Beeri-Sulitzeanu said.

Asked if the deal could be seen as a way to quiet the situation, Amnon responded that “social-economic integration and equality cannot be a substitute for a meaningful dialogue between the government and the Arab minority in Israel.”

Channel 10 said both sides had denied the additional funding would amount to a “money for peace” deal.

Netanyahu had decided two months ago to transfer a budget supplement of NIS 900m. to Arab municipalities, but the plan had not been finalized.

Yisrael Beytenu leader Avigdor Liberman protested the discussions, accusing the government of “strengthening the supporters of terrorism in the Knesset.” He accused Kahlon of trying to “buy quiet” by transferring billions to the Arab sector via a deal negotiated by the Joint List.

“They are yet again strengthening and legitimizing the most extreme Israeli Arabs,” Liberman wrote on Facebook. “Instead of developing and strengthening the moderate Arabs who call for coexistence and loyalty to the state, the government that pretends to be nationalist prefers to work with those who consistently incite against the state and cooperate with terrorists.”

In contrast, Bayit Yehudi leader Naftali Bennett said it was important to strengthen the Arab sector in order to unite all the people of Israel under Israeli sovereignty. He called for mass investment in education, transportation and infrastructure in the Arab sector.

Related Content

Avigdor Liberman
August 20, 2018
Liberman: Abbas trying to drag Israel into war with Gaza

By ANNA AHRONHEIM