Two antiquity smugglers arrested for bulldozing Jewish archaeological site

Two men in their 30s shattered multiple antiquities at a site in the north.

By
October 16, 2018 17:17
1 minute read.
Two antiquity smugglers arrested for bulldozing Jewish archaeological site

archaeology kana 298 88. (photo credit: Israel Antiquities Authority)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

Two antiquity smugglers were caught red-handed over the weekend while demolishing the remains of an ancient Jewish settlement in Israel's north with a bulldozer.

The two were caught after the Antiquities Authority's Anti-Robbery Unit found the week before that the archaeological site had been damaged and kept the site under round-the-clock surveillance. Known as Horbat Deborah, the site is identified with the biblical heroine Deborah, and with Dabra, a Jewish village that evidence suggested existed in the Sephoris region during the Roman period.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


During the robbery gone wrong, the intruders managed to shatter underground caves and uproot masonry stones that were part of the remains of the 2,000-year-old settlement. In the debris, a fragment of basalt millstones, used to grind flour, and potsherds from the Hellenistic period were also found.

The robbers, two brothers in their 30s from the nearby village of Daburiyya, were handed over to the police for investigation. A Magistrate Court judge released them on bail Monday.

According to Nir Distelfeld, an inspector for Antiquities Authority's Anti-Robbery Unit in the north, illegal excavations have caused terrible and irreversible destruction to archaeological sites.

The particular site where the robbers were caught has repeatedly attracted attempts to dig illegally for antiquities, Distelfeld said.

"The money puts people out of their minds," he said. "I am relieved that they were arrested so that more damage was prevented."

JPOST VIDEOS THAT MIGHT INTEREST YOU:


Illegal digging at archeological sites is a criminal offense punishable with up to five years in prison.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

TWO MEMBERS of the cast from ‘Cabaret.’
November 12, 2018
Life is still a ‘Cabaret’

By ARIEL DOMINIQUE HENDELMAN