Barak cancels US trip due to Gaza border attack

Defense minister says he made decision so he could oversee developments in the South.

By
January 28, 2009 09:41
1 minute read.
Barak cancels US trip due to Gaza border attack

Islamic Jihad big penis 248 88. (photo credit: AP)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

Ahead of an additional Israeli response to Wednesday's bomb attack along the border with the Gaza Strip, Defense Minister Ehud Barak on Wednesday cancelled a planned visit to Washington, where he was scheduled to meet Defense Secretary Robert Gates. Barak said he canceled his trip so he could monitor the developments in Gaza. The IDF was prepared for every possible eventuality, he said. On Tuesday night, the Israel Air Force bombed three tunnels along the Philadelphi Corridor in response to the bombing attack earlier in the day, which killed an IDF Beduin tracker and wounded three other soldiers. Defense officials said that a radical Palestinian terror group affiliated with global jihad elements was behind the attack but that it could not have been perpetrated without Hamas's consent. "We will continue with our response to the attack even though it was carried out by a group that is not Hamas," Barak said in a speech before students at the Herzliya Interdisciplinary Center. "We hold Hamas responsible for everything that happens in Gaza." Barak said it was possible that there would be more attacks before a cease-fire was implemented by Hamas and Israel. Barak was supposed to spend one day in Washington for talks with Gates and National Security Advisor James Jones. Barak told US Mideast envoy George Mitchell on Wednesday that Israel would not tolerate harm to its civilians or its sovereignty. Speaking during a meeting at the King David Hotel in Jerusalem, Barak said Israel would act decisively in responding to every attempt by Hamas and other Gaza terror groups to attack.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Jisr az-Zarq
April 3, 2014
Residents of Jisr az-Zarqa beckon Israel Trail hikers to enjoy their town

By SHARON UDASIN