Girlfriend may have lied in murder case

Arik Rafaelov, 16, laid to rest on Tuesday, was killed after being struck repeatedly by his girlfriend’s stepfather.

May 6, 2010 05:20
1 minute read.


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analysis from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief


The 15-year-old girlfriend of a teen who was beaten to death by the girl’s stepfather in Beersheba this week was arrested on Wednesday for providing a false account to police.

Arik Rafaelov, 16, laid to rest on Tuesday, was killed after being struck repeatedly by his girlfriend’s stepfather.

Rafaelov’s brother said Arik had been struck with a hammer and kept in the stepfather’s home for hours before medical attention was sought, when it was far too late. Police are investigating those claims. According to some reports, Rafaelov’s girlfriend told police that her stepfather was unarmed during the incident, matching an account given by her stepfather and mother.

Police refused to confirm the reports. “We think her statement to us was false, and the court will have to look into it,” a Negev Police spokesman told The Jerusalem Post on Wednesday. “We cannot discuss the content of her statement,” the spokesman added.

The incident began on Saturday night, when the youth and his girlfriend returned home and met the stepfather on a street near the girl’s home.

The stepfather was furious that his stepdaughter has come home late, and an argument broke out between the two. The man then began beating the youth, police suspect, causing him severe head injuries. Paramedics were called to the scene only hours later, evacuating the injured youth to the Soroka Medical Center in Beersheba early on Sunday. He was hospitalized in intensive care and declared brain-dead by the hospital; then declared dead on Monday. Police arrested the stepfather, his wife, and two of the father’s friends.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Jisr az-Zarq
April 3, 2014
Residents of Jisr az-Zarqa beckon Israel Trail hikers to enjoy their town