Navy: We did not halt Iranian boat

Earlier, Iranian radio station reported boat carrying aid intended for Gaza stopped by Israel.

January 13, 2009 17:09


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analysis from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief


The Navy did not stop any Iranian boat in the Mediterranean on Tuesday, the army was quoted by Channel 10 as saying. Earlier, and Iranian radio station reported that an Iranian ship carrying aid to Gaza was stopped by the Navy on its way towards the Strip. "An Iranian ship that was carrying foodstuff and medicine was stopped by the Zionist regime's navy 20 miles off the coast of Gaza," the Iranian radio station was quoted by Reuters as reporting, adding that the ship had left the Iranian port of Bandar Abbas 13 days earlier. The IDF spokesman said the military had no comment on the reports. On Monday, a group of protesters, doctors and lawmakers from the Free Gaza movement abandoned a bid to deliver humanitarian aid to Gaza and returned to Cyprus after their boat experienced engine trouble, a spokeswoman for the movement said. Karin Pally told The Associated Press that a generator blew three hours into the 24-hour trip, forcing the 20-meter Greek-flagged vessel to return to port in Larnaca.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Jisr az-Zarq
April 3, 2014
Residents of Jisr az-Zarqa beckon Israel Trail hikers to enjoy their town