Change unlikely at Claims Conference, says Holocaust historian

Deborah Lipstadt slams Claims Conference for attacking reporters who uncovered theft of $57 million.

By
June 30, 2013 04:29
1 minute read.
Deborah Lipstadt

Deborah Lipstadt. (photo credit: Courtesy Emory University)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user uxperience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew, Ivrit
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Repor
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

Instead of taking responsibility for their failure to stop the theft of $57 million over a period spanning almost two decades, the leaders of the Conference of Material Claims Against Germany “attacked those calling for independent investigations as well as the journalists who had been tracking this story,” Holocaust historian Deborah Lipstadt complained on Thursday.

Posting on Facebook, the former Clinton appointee to the United States Holocaust Memorial Council stated that attacks by the conference chairman Julius Berman on The Jewish Daily Forward, JTA and The Jerusalem Post is a “classic blame the messenger” story.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


“There are survivors for whom these funds were allocated, living in difficult circumstances as they are in their twilight years,” she said, calling the situation “heartbreaking.”

However, despite public calls for an external investigation of the conference’s failure to uncover the fraud, Lipstadt said that she believes that “nothing will happen.”

“No one will lose their position. No one will resign. No one will admit that they screwed up... big time,” She added. “To paraphrase a famous line uttered at a Senate hearing many decades ago, have they lost all sense of decency, if not just shame?”

Related Content

Joan Rivers
August 28, 2014
Joan Rivers rushed to hospital following throat surgery

By JPOST.COM STAFF