Amnesty: Egypt forcibly evicted 1,165 families from Rafah by the Gaza border

In many cases, Amnesty said, residents were not given any official warning at all and heard from the media that they had 48 hours to leave their homes.

By
November 30, 2014 20:29
2 minute read.
rafah egypt

Egyptian security forces blow up a house in Rafah, near the border with Gaza October 29, 2014. (photo credit: REUTERS)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

Egypt has forcibly evicted an estimated 1,165 families in Rafah so that it can clear a buffer zone by the Gaza Strip border, charged the human-rights group Amnesty International, which is concerned that additional homes will be demolished in the coming weeks.

“The scale of the forced evictions has been astonishing; the Egyptian authorities have thrown more than 1,000 families out of their homes in just a matter of days, flouting international and national law,” Hassiba Hadj Sahraoui, Amnesty International’s deputy director for the Middle East and North Africa, said on Thursday.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


“Shocking scenes have emerged of homes in Rafah being bulldozed, bombed, with entire buildings reduced to piles of rubble and families forcibly evicted,” Sahraoui said.

According to Amnesty, Egypt has destroyed some 800 homes since November in response to an attack on one of its military checkpoints in North Sinai on October 24, in which 33 soldiers were killed. The armed group Ansar Bayt al-Maqdis has claimed responsibility for this attack, Amnesty said.

Days after the attack, on October 29, Egypt’s Prime Minister Ibrahim Mahlab mandated the creation of a buffer zone by Rafah and called for the area to be evacuated.

At least 238 members of the security forces have been killed in northern Sinai since July last year, according state media reports.

Clearing a buffer zone to stop Hamas from building infiltration and smuggling tunnels from Gaza into Egypt is one of the steps Cairo is taking to protect its armed forces from attacks by terrorist groups, Amnesty said. Egypt has a right to take security measures, but it must do so within the bounds of international human rights law, it added.



The forced evictions have ignored these laws, said Amnesty, which explained that residents were not given adequate notice, proper compensation or alternative housing.

In many cases, it said, residents were not given any official warning at all, and heard from the media that they had 48 hours to leave their homes.

It called on Egypt to stop these demolitions, particularly in light of reports that it planned to add another 500 meters to the buffer zone.

“Plans for expanding the buffer zone must not include further forced evictions. The human rights of the residents in North Sinai cannot just be trampled on in the name of security,” Sahraoui said.

In a November 20 interview on the France 24 news channel, Egyptian President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi defended the home demolitions and explained that the local population had been notified.

“Meetings have been organized in order to compensate them and to rebuild a new city of Rafah,” Sisi said.

“In our struggle against terrorism, we always tried to do our utmost to spare the human lives of civilians. We always respected human rights,” he said.

Related Content

August 15, 2018
Iran Supreme Leader admits mistake regarding nuclear talks

By REUTERS