Egypt condemns 14 to death for 2011 Sinai attack

Last year's attack on police bears similarity to this month's Sinai violence; Egyptian security forces cracking down on militants.

By REUTERS
August 14, 2012 21:16
1 minute read.
Egyptian tanks arriving in Sinai city of Rafah

Egyptian tanks arriving in Sinai city of Rafah 370 (R). (photo credit: Mohamed Abd El Ghany / Reuters)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

ISMAILIA, Egypt - An Egyptian court sentenced to death on Tuesday 14 people it said were Islamist militants for a deadly attack on a police station in North Sinai last year, a court official said.

The ruling may add to tension in the volatile region bordering Israel, where fighting between security forces and militants has intensified since Aug. 5 when 16 border guards were killed in an attack blamed on Islamist groups.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


The condemned men were convicted for attacking a police station in north Sinai's main town of el-Arish in July 2011, killing an army officer, five policemen and a civilian, the court said.

Footage from inside the court showed bearded defendants, wearing the white overalls issued to detainees, standing or sitting in a metal cage. One was brought into court in a wheelchair. Six of the condemned men were present in court, others convicted in absentia.

They were all accused of being members of Al-Tawhid Wal Jihad, one of the banned groups being targeted in a security crackdown on militants in the desert peninsula.

The same court, in the city of Ismailia, on the west bank of the Suez Canal, will rule on September 24 on another 11 defendants, also accused of being part of the group that was blamed for bombing tourist resorts in Sinai in 2004 and 2005.

Thirteen of the 25 defendants in the two cases were tried in absentia as they are not in Egyptian custody.

JPOST VIDEOS THAT MIGHT INTEREST YOU:


Three bombings, targeting Israeli tourists at an Egyptian Red Sea hotel, killed 34 people in October 2004. More than 80 people were killed and 200 injured when suspected car bombs rocked the Red Sea resort of Sharm el-Sheikh in July 2005.

The group kept a low profile after its founders were killed by police following those bombings but had a resurgence after a popular uprising overthrew President Hosni Mubarak 18 months ago and members of the group fled prison and began to regroup, security experts and residents in Sinai say.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

The aftermath of an Iranian ballistic missile strike on the Koya headquarters of the KDP-I Iranian o
November 15, 2018
Senior IRGC commander: Israeli agent killed in September strikes on Kurds

By ANNA AHRONHEIM