Gunmen storm Gaza gov't compound

Earlier, Fatah members blockaded main road, seized electric plant, hospital.

March 20, 2006 10:42
2 minute read.

elections06.article.298. (photo credit: )


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analysis from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief


Dozens of Palestinian gunmen stormed Gaza's government compound Monday, exchanging fire with Palestinian police, and witnesses said four people were wounded. The takeover by the gunmen, affiliated with Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas' Fatah movement, was the fifth such incident in Gaza on Monday. It came a day after the rival Hamas group, which won January parliament elections, presented its new Cabinet to Abbas for approval. Many Fatah activists fear for their government jobs under Hamas rule.

JPOST.COM HIT LIST's most popular articles this past week
Three dozen gunmen firing in the air charged toward the complex, which includes the Foreign and Finance ministries. Moments later, Palestinian police jeeps pulled up to the buildings and exchanged fire with the gunmen. AP reporter Ibrahim Barzak was in the Foreign Ministry at the time of the attack. Near him, a security guard in the reception area was hit by two stray bullets in the legs. Other employees ran for cover, pressing close to walls or hiding under tables. Bullets smashed windows. Eventually, police stormed the ministry and began searched for the gunmen, going room to room. Dozens more officers surrounded the buildings. Three Al Aqsa gunmen were eventually arrested. In total, two gunmen and two security officials were wounded in the exchange of fire. A short while later, an intense gunbattle erupted at Palestinian police headquarters in Gaza City. Dozens of gunmen fired at the building, known as Arafat Police City, and policemen inside returned fire, witnesses said. No casualties were immediately reported. Earlier in the day, gunmen briefly took over Gaza's power plant, blocked a road leading to the main Israel-Gaza crossing point and briefly entered a military hospital. On the road leading to Erez, the three dozen gunmen blocking the road exchanged fire with policemen trying to remove them from the area. Two gunmen and a policeman were wounded in the incident. The firefight erupted along a road Abbas needs to use to leave the Gaza Strip. Abbas was scheduled to leave Gaza on Monday morning and head to the West Bank city of Ramallah. Two dozen gunmen also briefly infiltrated Gaza's power plant elsewhere in Gaza, exchanging fire with security forces and wounding two policemen, officials said. Two policemen were wounded in the power plant battle, officials said. No one was wounded in the incident at the military hospital near the town of Khan Younis.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Forces loyal to Syria's President Bashar al-Assad carry the national flag as they ride on motorcycle
May 26, 2019
Syrian government steps up air strikes in northwest, seizes small town