Saudis release 11 detained ex-Guantanamo inmates

By
December 20, 2006 19:59

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user uxperience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew, Ivrit
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Repor
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

Saudi authorities released 11 Saudis who were detained in their homeland for investigation after their release from the US military prison in Guantanamo Bay in mid-2006, the Interior Ministry announced Wednesday. The ministry also revealed for the first time that it had convicted some of the former Guantanamo detainees of violations of the law after their return from the US prison. Previously, officials had said they were investigating the returnees but had not announced any prosecutions. Ministry spokesman Lt. Gen. Mansour al-Turki said 28 detainees who were released from Guantanamo in May and June confessed to "committing legal violations. They stood trial, and the court issued different sentences against them."

Related Content

July 19, 2018
Pro-Assad villages evacuated in deal with Syrian rebels

By REUTERS