Herzliya man held for killing second wife

65-year-old arrested on suspicion of stabbing to death second wife 21 years after killing his first wife in 1991.

September 18, 2012 20:12
1 minute read.
[illustrative photo]

Police car in Tel Aviv at night 311. (photo credit: Yoni Cohen)


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user uxperience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew, Ivrit
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Repor
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

Some two decades after he murdered his first wife, a 65- year-old man was arrested Tuesday morning on suspicion of stabbing his second wife to death in their Herzliya home.

Tel Aviv Police spokeswoman Orit Friedman said emergency dispatchers received a call just before 6 a.m. from a man saying he had just killed his wife. Police and paramedics who came to the scene found the woman in the couple’s bedroom, dead of stab wounds.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.

They also found the couple’s four-year-old daughter sitting outside the bedroom door. They believe she was at home at the time of the murder.

Social workers will determine if the girl should go into foster care or the custody of relatives, Friedman said. She added that the dead woman, 38-year-old Elsi Lagundai, had a sister in Petah Tikvah while the suspect had children from his first marriage.

In 1991 the suspect killed his first wife in a similar fashion.

He was sentenced to 14 years in prison but was deemed unfit for incarceration.

Instead, he was sent to Abarbanel Psychiatric Hospital, where he was served out his sentence.

The man met Lagundai shortly after his release. They were married six years ago and recently separated. A few weeks ago the suspect called police and asked that he be escorted to the couple’s home to gather his belongings, after which he left peacefully.

Court-appointed attorney Nir Elfasy said Tuesday night that his client admitted to having killed his wife.

He explained that he suspected his wife of being unfaithful and using him in order to be able to stay in Israel legally.

Elfasy said of his client that “it is obvious that he is not a well man” and had become “an emotional powder keg” ahead of the incident. The lawyer added that he would focus on his client’s mental state and not deny that he carried out the murder.

On Tuesday night, police were expected to bring the suspect to the Tel Aviv Magistrate’s Court for a remand hearing. For the time being there is a gag order on publication of the man’s name.

Related Content

August 31, 2014
Rioting resumes throughout east Jerusalem Saturday night