Israel approves plans for more than 800 homes in West Bank

Plans come in addition to thousands of homes approved since peace talks resumed in July.

By JPOST.COM STAFF, REUTERS
November 25, 2013 17:19
1 minute read.
A stop sign is seen outside a West Bank Jewish settlement

A stop sign is seen outside a West Bank Jewish settlement. (photo credit: Reuters)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user uxperience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew, Ivrit
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Repor
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

JERUSALEM - Israel approved on Monday plans to build more than 800 settler homes in the West Bank, in a move Palestinians said was aimed at venting Israeli anger toward a historic deal Western powers have struck with Iran over its nuclear program.

Lior Amihai, a spokesman for Israeli settler watch group Peace Now, said authorities first advanced the plans for 831 homes in five West Bank settlements earlier this month.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


These plans were in addition to thousands of other settler homes Israel has announced since US-brokered peace negotiations with the Palestinians resumed in July after a three-year stalemate.

The Israeli civil administration in the West Bank which approves settlement plans had no immediate comment.

Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas's top aide, Nabil Abu Rdeineh, condemned the announcement and said Palestinians "consider it the continuation of a policy of escalation aimed at putting obstacles in front of the peace process."

Israeli Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu "shouldn't settle his scores with the United States at the expense of our people," Abu Rdeineh told Reuters, connecting the latest settlement plan with Israel's objections to world powers' deal with Iran on Saturday to curb its nuclear program.

Israel feels the deal with Iran fails to strip the Islamic republic of a future ability to build a nuclear bomb. Iran denies seeking nuclear weapons.



Palestinian chief negotiator Saeb Erekat denounced what he called an Israeli plan to destroy chances of negotiating the terms of Palestinian statehood alongside Israel.

More than 500,000 Israeli settlers live in the West Bank and east Jerusalem alongside 2.5 million Palestinians.

Related Content

Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu
August 31, 2014
Prime minister to Channel 1: I’ll be running again in next election

By Gil Stern Stern HOFFMAN