Man arrested for 2004 J’lem slaying

Undercover agent sheds light on seven-year-old case.

December 14, 2011 06:13
1 minute read.
Mark Shapiro

Mark Shapiro 311. (photo credit: Marc Israel Sellem)


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user uxperience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew, Ivrit
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Repor
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

In a breakthrough for a seven-year-old murder case, Jerusalem Police officials on Tuesday announced the arrest of a 35-year-old man suspected of murdering an acquaintance during a mugging that turned violent.

On Monday, his remand was extended to Thursday, when police are expected to serve him with an indictment.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.

The victim, 49-year-old Shmuel Siman Tov, was found in a rooftop apartment in the Mea She’arim neighborhood on August 9, 2004, with dozens of stab wounds all over his body. Police and paramedics attempted to rush him to the hospital, but he died of his wounds in a matter of minutes.

Immediately following the murder, police opened an investigation and looked into the possibility that the incident was terror-related. The investigation did not produce any results, however, and the case remained a mystery.

A few months ago, police recruited an undercover agent in an effort to catch drug dealers in Jerusalem. The agent told his handlers that a few years ago, while he had been in prison, a friend had admitted to a murder during a “robbery that went wrong.”

Police immediately arrested the suspect, Mark Shapiro, on December 5. At first, Shapiro maintained his innocence, but during the investigation, he admitted to the murder and reenacted it for police.

Shapiro said that he had carried out the mugging because Siman Tov had had a large amount of money in his apartment. Siman Tov’s father, Baruch Siman Tov, said his son had just gone to the ATM and had approximately NIS 1,000.

“He was religious and a good man, he gave everything to everyone,” said the tearful father at the Jerusalem Magistrate’s Court on Monday, where he sat across from Shapiro.

Siman Tov said he had never lost faith that police would eventually find his son’s murderer, though it frustrated him that it had taken seven years.

When police told him that someone had been arrested in connection with the murder, “I felt like this had stopped weighing on my heart,” he said outside the courtroom.

Related Content

August 31, 2014
Rioting resumes throughout east Jerusalem Saturday night