Netanya: Man killed in hit-and run incident

Driver goes up on curb, hits pedestrian on street, abandons his car and flees, leaving victim stuck underneath vehicle.

February 17, 2012 16:09
1 minute read.
Illustrative photo

crime scene. (photo credit: Ariel Jerozolimski [illustrative])


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analysis from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief


A man was killed in a hit-and-run accident in Netanya on Friday. The man, approximately 70-years-old, was walking on Lilienblum Street when a car went up on the curb and hit him, at which point the driver got out of the car and ran away.

The pedestrian was trapped under the car for several minutes, before a rescue team was able to release him. An MDA team pronounced him dead. Police opened an investigation into the incident and began searching the area for the driver.

On Tuesday, Police said a breakthrough occurred in an investigation into the hit-and-run that left a 19-year-old soldier dead last Saturday near Yokne’am.

A van driver and five passengers were arrested in connection with the incident, police said, following the partial lifting of a media ban.

“Several other vehicles are being examined” to see if they were involved in the accident that killed the soldier, Amnesh Yasatzu, who was walking out of a gas station when she was struck.

Police suspect one vehicle struck Yasatzu down, before three other vehicles ran over her.

One woman later came forward to tell police she felt she “struck something” while driving along Route 66 in the North.

“We’re asking other drivers who were involved to come forward before our investigations team reaches them through forensic findings,” a police spokesman said.

The spokesman did not say whether police thought the van driver was the first to hit the soldier or not.

The Nazareth Magistrate’s Court allowed the release of limited information regarding the investigation on Tuesday, following a closeddoor session.

Judge Osaila Abu Assad said there has been progress in the investigation, and there will be more arrests to come.

A gag order remains on other details of the investigation.

Yaakov Lappin and Joanna Paraszczuk contributed to this report

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

August 31, 2014
Rioting resumes throughout east Jerusalem Saturday night