Haifa, Tel Aviv fight to entertaining 2-2 draw

Shorthanded Greens come back from two goals down to secure draw against champions.

April 30, 2013 05:32
1 minute read.
Maccabi Haifa's Hen Ezra

Maccabi Haifa's Hen Ezra 370. (photo credit: Uzi Gal)


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

Despite playing with 10 men from the 21st minute, Maccabi Haifa came back from two goals down to draw 2- 2 with newly-crowned Premier League champion Maccabi Tel Aviv at Kiryat Eliezer Stadium on Monday night.

With Tel Aviv clinching its first championship since 2003 last week and Haifa destined to end the season in second place, there was an understandable anticlimactic atmosphere in Haifa.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.

Tel Aviv made six changes to the team that beat Hapoel Ramat Hasharon 2-0 last week, but still seemed to be cruising to its first win over the Greens at Kiryat Eliezer in nine years after taking a 2-0 lead into the halftime break.

Starting in his first match since December, Gonzalo Garcia gave the yellow-and-blue the lead from the penalty spot in the 22nd minute, with Haifa’s Gustavo Boccoli being sent off for blocking the ball with his hand on the line.

After failing to score in the league since November, Gonzalo netted his second goal of the night three minutes from the break with a superb strike from the edge of the box.

The visitors looked to be in complete control, but Dekel Keinan’s header eight minutes after the interval handed Haifa a lifeline and less than two minutes later Hen Ezra leveled the score with a sensational shot from 20 meters out to extend Haifa’s unbeaten run against Tel Aviv.

“We managed to embarrass them with 10 players and we scored twice which is something that is very difficult to do,” said Haifa coach Arik Benado. “The players showed character and fought until the very end.

Considering how the game unfolded I’m quite happy with a draw.”

Tel Aviv coach Oscar Garcia was surprisingly pleased with the outcome.

“I think that after the result of the first half we thought that everything was over, but on the pitch we saw that the game wasn’t finished,” said Oscar. “But I’m happy because the players gave 100 percent. It’s a good result against a good team.”

Related Content

dudi sela
August 31, 2014
Sela steamrolled by Dimitrov