IAEA: Japan raises incident level at nuclear site

Accident at Tokyo's Fukushima Daiichi site upgraded to level 5 rating, up from level 4 previously on 1-7 scale.

March 18, 2011 11:19
2 minute read.
Fukushima Daiichi Power Plant in Japan

Fukushima Daiichi Power Plant in Japan. (photo credit: REUTERS/DigitalGlobe/Handout)


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

Japan has raised the incident level at a disaster-hit nuclear power reactor, the UN nuclear watchdog reported on a monitoring website on Friday.

The entry gave the accident at the Fukushima Daiichi site a level 5 rating, up from level 4 previously on a 1-7 scale. That would suggest a level of seriousness on par with the Three Mile Island accident in the United States in 1979.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.

Japan races to restore power to nuclear reactors
Foreign countries scramble to get citizens out of Japan
Japan: Workers strive to restore power to avert tragedy
Japanese have their own way to cope with things

The crisis at the nuclear power plant is "grave and serious", Yukiya Amano, head of the UN's nuclear watchdog, said on Friday. He went on to say that Japan is racing against the clock to cool overheating nuclear reactors.

Amano returned to his native Japan and said he will not visit the plant, but that a team of scientists will go in its general direction.

Japanese engineers toiled frantically to avert a catastrophic release of radiation from a crippled nuclear power plant north of Tokyo on Friday, but the United States said it could take weeks to cool the facility's overheating fuel rods.

Officials said they hoped to fix a power cable to at least two of the six reactors in the hope of restarting water pumps and were preparing to douse them in the afternoon with water from fire trucks.

However, no one was holding out hope that the crisis -- about to enter its second week after last Friday's 9.0-magnitude earthquake and tsunami -- could be overcome anytime soon.

Japan's nuclear agency spokesman conceded that a "Chernobyl solution" of burying the reactors in sand and concrete was in the back of the authorities' minds.

Millions in Tokyo remained indoors on Friday, fearing a blast of radioactive material from the complex 240 km (150 miles) to the north, though prevailing winds would likely carry contaminated smoke or steam away from the densely populated city to dissipate over the Pacific Ocean.

Japan's nuclear disaster, the world's worst since Chernobyl in Ukraine 25 years ago, has triggered alarm and reviews of safety at atomic power plants around the globe.

Cooling pumps may not work

Even if the engineers manage to connect the power at the Fukushima Daiichi plant, it is not clear the pumps will work as they may have been damaged in the earthquake or subsequent explosions and there are real fears of the electricity shorting and causing another explosion.

Nuclear agency spokesman Hidehiko Nishiyama said it was unclear how effective spraying water on the reactors from helicopters had been on Thursday, but the priority now was to get water into the spent-fuel pools.

"We have to reduce the heat somehow and may use seawater," he told a news conference. "We need to get the reactors back online as soon as possible and that's why we're trying to restore power to them."

Jaczko said the cooling pool for spent-fuel rods at the complex's reactor No.4 may have run dry and another was leaking.

Related Content

Anti-government protesters demonstrate on a street in central Ankara
June 16, 2013
Thousands take to streets of Istanbul, defy Erdogan