Explosions, power outages reported near Tehran

Al-Arabiya reported that the explosions occurred in missile depots belonging to the IRGC southwest of Tehran.

Explosion near Tehran, June 26, 2020 (photo credit: SCREENSHOT FARS NEWS AGENCY)
Explosion near Tehran, June 26, 2020
Explosions were reported west of Tehran on Thursday night, with some initial reports claiming that the explosions occurred at a missile depot belonging to the Iranian Revolutionary Guards Corps (IRGC).
According to the Iranian Mehr News Agency, the explosions were reported by social media users west of Tehran and in the cities of Garmdareh and Quds.
Power outages were reported in the area after the explosions were heard, according to initial reports.
Leila Vaseghi, governor of Quds, told Iranian media that no explosion had occurred in the area and that there had only been a five minute power outage in a small area.
Along with the denial of the explosion, Iranian media reported that the mayor of Garmdareh had stated that the explosion was caused by gas tanks, but it was later discovered that the quoted mayor had died over a year ago and that the quoted news was from years ago, according to the Independent Persian.
Iranian media had also reported that a security official in the region had attributed the explosion to highway construction, but it was later discovered that the quoted news was from over two years ago.
The Iranian Fars News Agency interviewed local residents saying that there was no explosion, but they did confirm that there was a 15 minute long power outage, and not five minutes long like the governor said.
The head of the fire department in Qods city denied receiving any reports of an incident or explosion in the past 24 hours, IRIB reported.
Al-Arabiya reported that the explosions occurred in missile depots belonging to the IRGC southwest of Tehran.
Thursday's explosion is the most recent in a series of explosions and fires reported in industrial areas and infrastructure throughout Iran.
On Monday, at least two people were killed and three others injured in a large explosion at the Sepahan Boresh factory in the city of Baqershahr near Tehran, according to Iranian and foreign reports.
The explosion was caused by "negligence in filling oxygen tanks," the Kahrizak district governor told Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty on Tuesday. The walls of the Saipa Press Company, located next to the factory, were damaged by the explosion as well.
The location of the explosion is not far from the warehouse where Iran's nuclear archive was found by Israel in 2018, reported the IntelliTimes intelligence blog. The Saipa Press Company is located about 11 km. northeast from the area where the nuclear archive was found in the Shurabad commercial area. A warehouse where Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu claimed that nuclear equipment and material was stored is also located nearby in the Turouzabad area. The International Atomic Energy Agency found traces of uranium at the warehouse in 2019 and began investigating its origin, according to Reuters.
IntelliTimes reported that the Sepahan Boresh factory belongs to the Iranian automotive manufacturer SAIPA. It cooperates with the Iranian Ministry of Defense; the Iranian Revolutionary Guards Corps is involved in the company as well.
On June 26, an explosion was reported at a gas storage facility near Tehran. Iranian media reported that the incident happened in a "public area" in Parchin and not at a military site located nearby. Western security services believe Tehran carried out tests relevant to nuclear bomb detonations in Parchin more than a decade ago; Iran denies this.
Days later, on June 30, another explosion happened at a medical facility in Tehran, killing 19 people. Some initial reports attributed the explosion to oxygen tanks as well.
Later that week, an explosion was reported at a building at the Natanz nuclear facility where centrifuges were reportedly housed.
The Noor News website, close with Iran's Supreme National Security Council and the Hamshahri newspaper described the Natanz explosion as an "attack" on Tuesday, writing that "there is evidence that it was intentional," according to Radio Farda.
The report published by Noor stated that the Natanz site is difficult to defend. The extent of the damage and intelligence have strengthened the probability that the Natanz explosion was intentional, according to the report.
On Saturday, a fire broke out at the Shahid Medhaj Zargan power plant in the city of Ahvaz in southwestern Iran, and a chlorine leak sent dozens of employees to the emergency room at a petrochemical plant in the same region on Saturday, according to Iranian media.
The fire at the power plant broke out after a transformer exploded, according to the semi-official Fars News Agency. A spokesman for the Iranian electricity industry later told Iranian media that the "connection" of one of the transformers caused the fire, not an explosion.
About an hour after the fire at the power plant, 70 people were injured from a chlorine gas leak at the Karun Petrochemical Company, located south of Ahvaz, according to the Iranian IRNA news agency. The leak occurred after a pipe from a tank ruptured. The cause of the rupture is being investigated, according to a local official.