Family of fallen soldier Oron Shaul urges army to secure body for burial

By JPOST.COM STAFF
August 3, 2014 14:26

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

Speaking for the family of fallen IDF soldier St.-Sgt. Oron Shaul a family member, Racheli Gazit, stated  that the family trusts that the IDF is doing everything it can to ensure that the body of Oron Shaul is returned to Israel for proper burial.

Shaul, who was unaccounted for after an attack on his armored personnel carrier in Gaza killed six other soldiers, was declared dead by the IDF’s chief rabbi on July 25.

The IDF originally announced that St.-Sgt. Shaul was missing after Hamas claimed to have kidnapped an Israeli soldier, not saying whether he was alive or dead.

The Army later said that he had been killed in action, although his body has yet to be recovered. No funeral has taken place, though Ms. Gazit said that the family has concluded the shiva mourning period.


Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Breaking news
October 20, 2018
Saudi courts will look at Khashoggi case

By REUTERS