ISIS forces US-backed rebels to retreat from Syrian border town

AMMAN - US-backed Syrian rebels were forced to retreat from the outskirts of an Islamic State-held town at the border with Iraq and a nearby air base on Wednesday after a counter attack by the jihadists, two rebel sources said.
The US-backed New Syria Army rebel group had launched the attack aiming to capture the town of Al-Bukamal on Tuesday.
One of the rebel sources said Islamic State fighters had encircled the rebels in a surprise ambush. The rebels had incurred heavy casualties and weapons had been seized by the jihadists, the source said.
A spokesman of the New Syria Army, Muzahem al Saloum, confirmed they had retreated. "We have withdrawn to the outlying desert and the first stage of the campaign had ended," Saloum told Reuters.
Defense Ministry to conduct exercise on Highway 35 on Sunday afternoon
Ukrainian drone attack on Moscow forces airport closure, Russia says
US condemns shooting of Colombian presidential candidate Miguel Uribe
Israeli man arrested in Albania after trying to leave with undeclared €194,000 - report
IDF Arabic Spokesperson Avichay Adraee issues evacuation notice to residents north of Gaza City
Fire breaks out in Haruvit Forest, not yet contained
France's Armed Forces Minister reaffirms no weapons being sold to Israel
IDF arrests PIJ Jenin Battalion commander during West Bank operation
Twenty live hostages, two undetermined, 33 dead, says Israeli source
North Korea internet hit by a major outage, analyst says