North Korea announced Friday that it would work with Washington to resolve "differences" over restarting nuclear disarmament talks, but observers said it was too early to declare US envoy Stephen Bosworth's mission to Pyongyang a success.
The comments were North Korea's first reaction to three days of rare high-level talks with Bosworth, who arrived in Beijing on Friday to brief Chinese officials. North Korea's foreign ministry said it understood the need to resume six-party nuclear talks that the communist nation walked away from earlier this year, vowing never to return.
Though Pyongyang stopped short of making a firm commitment to return to the negotiating table, its reaction raised hopes that the disarmament process could resume.
Bosworth's trip marked the Obama administration's first high-level talks with North Korea, though the visit did not include a meeting with leader Kim Jong Il.