BREAKING NEWS

S. Korean leader feels responsible for N. Korean attack

YEONPYEONG ISLAND, South Korea  — South Korea's president on Monday took responsibility for failing to protect South Koreans from a deadly North Korean artillery attack last week, even as he vowed that the North would face consequences for future aggression.
Lee Myung-bak didn't offer specifics about those consequences nor did he say what actions South Korea will take in response to the artillery barrage on Yeonpyeong Island that killed four, including two civilians, and sent tensions soaring in the region."I feel deeply responsible for failing to protect my people's lives and property," Lee said. He said he was "very sorry and regretful" for the death of innocent people.
"Launching military strikes against civilians is an inhumane crime that is even banned during wartime," Lee said.
Subscribe for our daily newsletter
Subscribe for our daily newsletter

By subscribing I accept the terms of use