The fire was most likely caused when the children used candles during a power outage.
By ASSOCIATED PRESSPublished: FEBRUARY 11, 2010 13:27Advertisement
At least 10 schoolchildren were charred to death and many others injured in a fire at a hostel in India's remote northeastern Arunachal Pradesh state, a local official said Thursday.The fire broke out late Wednesday in a building in which the children's hostel was located in Palin, a small town in Koloriang district, said Remo Kamki, the district magistrate.The fire was most likely caused when the children used candles during a power outage, he said.Local residents helped put out the fire and took the injured, some of whom were badly burned, to a nearby hospital, he said.Palin is a four-hour drive from the district headquarters, Koloriang,and is so remote that it does not have any telephone connections.
var cont = `Sign up for The Jerusalem Post Premium Plus for just $5
Upgrade your reading experience with an ad-free environment and exclusive content