Canadian police on Wednesday identified the person who carried out a school massacre as an 18-year-old woman with mental health issues but did not give a motive for one of the worst mass shootings in Canada's history.
The killer, who police named as Jesse Van Rootselaar, committed suicide after the shooting on Tuesday in Tumbler Ridge, a remote community in the Pacific province of British Columbia. Police revised the death toll down to nine from the initially reported 10.
Two people were airlifted to the hospital with "serious or life‑threatening injuries" for further medical treatment, and 25 others were treated at a local medical center, the Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP) said.
"Police had attended that (family) residence on multiple occasions over the past several years, dealing with concerns of mental health with respect to our suspect," said Deputy Commissioner Dwayne McDonald, commander of the RCMP in British Columbia.
McDonald said Van Rootselaar, who was born male but began to identify as a female six years ago, had first killed her mother, 39, and 11-year-old step-brother at the family home.
She then went to the school, where she shot a 39-year-old woman teacher as well as three 12-year-old female students and two male students, one aged 12 and one aged 13.
"We do believe the suspect acted alone...it would be too early to speculate on motive," McDonald told a press conference.
Carney: 'Canadians will get through'
Earlier in the day, a visibly upset Prime Minister Mark Carney promised Canadians would get through what he called a "terrible" shooting.
Carney, who has postponed a trip to Europe, said he had ordered flags on all government buildings to be flown at half-mast for the next seven days.
"We will get through this. We will learn from this," he told reporters, at one point looking close to tears.
"But right now, it's a time to come together, as Canadians always do in these situations, these terrible situations, to support each other, to mourn together and to grow together."
Carney sent his "prayers and deepest condolences" to "the families and friends who have lost loved ones to these horrific acts of violence" in a statement on X/Twitter following the incident.
He also expressed gratitude for "the courage and selflessness of the first responders who risked their lives to protect their fellow citizens."
Premier of British Columbia David Eby pledged in a post on X his government's support to all Tumbler Ridge community members as all those impacted by the shooting "try to come to terms with this unimaginable tragedy."
"Our hearts are in Tumbler Ridge tonight with the families of those who have lost loved ones," he added.
Several prominent world leaders sent messages of condolence. King Charles, Canada's head of state, said he was "profoundly shocked and saddened" by the deaths.
Shooting among deadliest in Canadian history
The shooting ranks among the deadliest in Canadian history. Canada has stricter gun laws than the United States, but Canadians can own firearms with a license.
In April 2020, a 51-year-old man disguised in a police uniform and driving a fake police car shot and killed 22 people in a 13-hour rampage in the Atlantic province of Nova Scotia, before police killed him at a gas station.
In Canada's worst school shooting, in December 1989, a gunman killed 14 female students and wounded 13 at the Ecole Polytechnique in Montreal, Quebec, before committing suicide.
"There's not a word in the English language that's strong enough to describe the level of devastation that this community has experienced," said Larry Neufeld, a local provincial legislator.
"It's going to take a significant amount of effort and a significant amount of courage to repair that terror," he told CBC News.
Goldie Katz contributed to this report.