Murder suspects remanded for 7 days

Two child murder cases w

Leon Kalantarov 248.88 (photo credit: Channel 10)
Leon Kalantarov 248.88
(photo credit: Channel 10)
Courts in Jerusalem and in Kiryat Gat extended by seven days the remand of three suspects in two separate child murder on Friday afternoon. Jerusalem resident Nahman Anshin, 23, was remanded for a week in custody at the capital's magistrate's court on suspicion of beating his eight-month-old baby girl, Fruma, to death. The alleged incident occurred around 11 p.m. on Thursday night, when neighbors in the Shmuel Hanavi neighborhood heard screams coming from the apartment and called the police. Before officers arrived, one of the neighbors and a police volunteer broke into the apartment from a balcony and claim that they saw the suspect banging his baby's head against the floor while holding her feet. Police officers then arrived and arrested the man at the scene. The baby was evacuated to Jerusalem's Bikur Holim Hospital, where she was pronounced dead. Dozens of haredim tried to attack police officers who were securing the ambulance that was carrying the girl when it arrived at the hospital, and two of them were arrested. The haredim were apparently protesting plans to carry out an autopsy on the body, but police said later that there was no need for the procedure since the signs of violence - including bite marks, a cracked skull and broken legs - were all too clear. The man's wife told police that her husband had earlier thrown her out of the house after a heated argument. Before Friday's remand hearing, Anshin was deemed fit to stand trial by a district psychiatrist, but prosecutors then agreed to the defense team's request to allow the suspect to be checked again by a psychiatrist from his community. Anshin's lawyer, Yaakov Kaminsky, claimed that his client was well known to be mentally ill. Meanwhile, the Kiryat Gat Magistrate's Court on Friday afternoon extended by seven days the remand of two 23-year-old twin brothers from Bnei Ayish, who are suspected of murdering their seven-year-old neighbor Leon Kalantarov. Kalantarov was reported missing Thursday afternoon, and after a protracted search, his body was eventually found in a house where the twins live. Police commander Amnon Lavi told Israel Radio that complaints of indecent acts had recently been filed against the twins "Three weeks ago, complaints were filed with Kiryat Malachi police against the two brothers about acts they carried out on two or three children in the neighborhood, which involved intimate body parts but no contact," he said. There were no obvious signs of violence on Kalantarov's body, and Lavi said that although police suspected he was murdered, "other angles are also being examined." Neighbors told Channel 10 that the two suspects were well known for sexually abusing youngsters. One of the neighbors, Eyal Tzalah, told the television channel that police "did nothing" despite knowing about the allegations. Meanwhile, the twins' father said that they were mentally ill and that his repeated pleas to authorities to provide them with professional help had gone unheeded.