Rattrapé par son passé, William Schabas a démissionné avant même que son enquête ne soit terminée et ses conclusions publiées. Un départ qui représente une victoire pour Israël.
Schabas has now suddenly resigned after the exposure of his consulting job with the PLO.
The report will be presented to the UNHRC on March 23rd, during its 28th session in Geneva, the UNHRC said on Tuesday.
Bayit Yehudi leader Naftali Bennett said it should be obvious that someone who advised the PLO cannot lead the investigation.
Netanyahu responded earlier in the day to Schabas’ decision to step down by saying that the report that he was working on should also be discarded.
The UN commission has concluded collecting evidence, and is scheduled to present its conclusions to the UNHRC on March 23.
"This work in defense of human rights appears to have made me a huge target for malicious attacks," Schabas says of his involvement in the inquiry.
William Schabas has already pronounced Israel presumptively guilty on the very matter he is now charged with investigating.
In his interview with Asharq al-Awsat, Schabas vowed that he would “put my opinions aside” and proceed with the investigation in an impartial manner.
This war has taught us all a great deal about fighting Israel’s battles, with the greatest lesson of all being “Sniper PR.”