Interior Ministry revokes state residency rights of 4 east Jerusalem Palestinian terrorists

Measure implemented for first time since terror wave engulfed capital in October.

By
January 21, 2016 19:09
2 minute read.
THE CAR Alexander Levlovitz (inset) was driving is seen after his fatal collision

THE CAR Alexander Levlovitz (inset) was driving is seen after his fatal collision. (photo credit: ARIK ABULOFF / JERUSALEM FIRE AND RESCUE SERVICES)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

Interior Minister Arye Deri on Thursday ordered the revocation of residency rights of four east Jerusalem Palestinian terrorists responsible for four recent Jewish murders in two separate attacks in the capital.

It is the first time in over a year and a half since the measure, which is rarely implemented by the government, has been utilized.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


Among the four, three were indicted on October 15 and charged with the September 13 death of Alexander Levlovitz, 64, who lost control of his car on Rosh Hashana Eve when its windshield was shattered by rocks thrown by the defendants from an overpass in Armon Hanatziv.

Levlovitz, a grandfather, who was driving home with his two daughters at the time, died hours after striking a utility pole. His daughters were both wounded in the attack.

An investigation determined the rocks were thrown by youths from the neighboring Arab village of Sur Bahir. In a joint statement with the Shin Bet (Israel Security Agency), police said that shortly after their arrests the four suspects confessed to carrying out the attack.

Muhammad Salah Muhammad Abu Kaf, 18, Walid Fares Mustafa Atrash, 18, and Abed Muhammad Abed Rabo Dawiat, 17, were charged with manslaughter and remain in custody. The unidentified fourth suspect, a minor, is not having his residency revoked.

The Shin Bet said one of the three had told investigators that he carried out the attack in the name of terrorist group Hamas, adding that they had thrown stones at several Israeli cars before hitting Levlovitz’s.

JPOST VIDEOS THAT MIGHT INTEREST YOU:


Hamas operative and Jebl Mukaber resident Bilal Abu Ghanem, 21 – who is responsible for perhaps the bloodiest attack in the capital since the terrorism wave began in October – is the fourth terrorist to have his residency rights revoked.

On October 13, Ghanem and Baha Alyan boarded the number 78 Egged Bus where Armon Hanatziv and Jebl Mukaber intersect and proceeded to stab and shoot Jewish passengers. Alyan was shot dead by police and Ghanem was taken into custody.

Haim Haviv, 78, Alon Govberg, 51, and Richard Lakin, 76, were murdered, and over a dozen other passengers were seriously wounded in the attack, which rattled the nation.

State Prosecutor Uri Korb said that Ghanem “did not express regret for his actions.”

Upon taking office late last year, Deri vowed to revoke the residency rights of all convicted terrorists, stating that it is unconscionable to provide killers with state benefits of any kind.

“This is an unusual step, but the severity of their actions completely justifies my decision,” Deri said in a statement. “When carrying out these terrorist attacks, the assailants took advantage of the freedom of movement they enjoyed as part of their resident status.”

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

The damaged house in Beersheba from the rocket attack on Wednesday, October 17, 2018.
October 17, 2018
Cabinet mulls Gaza military operation

By ANNA AHRONHEIM, TOVAH LAZAROFF