US condemns attacks on Israelis as 'terror' and 'murder'

"The United States condemns in the strongest terms today’s terrorist attacks against Israeli civilians," State Department says in statement.

By
October 13, 2015 19:21
1 minute read.
Ultra-Orthodox Jews mourn over the body of 60-year-old Rabbi Yeshayahu Krishevsky

Ultra-Orthodox Jews mourn over the body of 60-year-old Rabbi Yeshayahu Krishevsky during his funeral in Jerusalem, October 13, 2015. (photo credit: AFP PHOTO)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

WASHINGTON – The United States once again condemned ongoing violence in Israel on Tuesday, after attacks by Palestinians took the lives of at least three Israelis and maimed at least 20 others.

Since October 1, at least seven Israelis have been killed and dozens more have been injured in attacks across Israel and the Palestinian territories.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


According to Palestinian reports, 27 Palestinians – including nine alleged attackers– have also died.
Scenes of double terror attacks in Jerusalem

“The United States condemns in the strongest terms today’s terrorist attacks against Israeli civilians, which resulted in the murder of three Israelis and left numerous others wounded. We mourn any loss of innocent life, Israeli or Palestinian,” State Department spokesman John Kirby said in a statement. “We continue to stress the importance of condemning violence and combating incitement.”

Over the weekend, US Secretary of State John Kerry offered American help in calls with both Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas.

Netanyahu has repeatedly blamed Abbas for inciting Palestinians to violence, while Abbas claims that Netanyahu seeks to change status quo arrangements on the Temple Mount where Jews are not allowed to pray.

The violence has taken various forms including stabbings, shootings and vehicular attacks against Israeli children, adult civilians and police forces, while Palestinian deaths have reportedly been at the hands of the IDF, with one incident last week characterized as a reprisal attack by an Israeli Jew against Israeli Arabs.



“We are in regular contact with the Israeli government and the Palestinian Authority,” Kirby said. “We remain deeply concerned about escalating tensions and urge all sides to take affirmative steps to restore calm and prevent actions that would further escalate tensions.”

Related Content

Palestinian flags flutter at a protest against the Nation-State Law in Rabin Square, Tel Aviv
August 19, 2018
Israeli Arabs want to set July 19 as Apartheid Day

By GIL HOFFMAN