KANDAHAR - Afghan troops clashed with the Taliban in the southern city of Kandahar for a second day on Sunday after insurgents launched coordinated attacks with rocket-propelled grenades and suicide raids against government buildings.
The death toll from gunbattles that continued through the night had risen to three, with 46 people wounded, including 24 policemen, border police General Razeq said. It was unclear how many insurgents had been killed.
Heavy machinegun fire and explosions could still be heard with fighting continuing in two areas of the city, as Afghan forces aided by NATO-led coalition troops mopped up remaining pockets of insurgent resistance.
Provincial governor Tooryalai Wesa, whose compound in the heart of the city was the first to come under attack on Saturday in a fusillade of rocket-propelled grenades, said insurgents were putting up heavy resistance.
Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>