British teenager found guilty over soldier "beheading" plot

By REUTERS
February 19, 2015 18:21
1 minute read.

LONDON - A British teenager was found guilty on Thursday of plotting to behead a soldier in London after being influenced by the murder of an Afghan war veteran who was hacked to death by two Islamists in the capital a year earlier.

Muslim convert Brusthom Ziamani, 19, was arrested last August carrying a 12-inch (30-cm) knife and a hammer, wrapped in a black Islamic flag.

Prosecutors told London's Old Bailey court he had researched the location of army cadet barracks and they believed he was on his way to a military base when he was detained. Ziamani, from Camberwell, southeast London, was convicted of preparing terrorist acts.

Commander Richard Walton, from London police's Counter Terrorism Command, said after the verdict that the case starkly illustrated one of the threats police currently face in Britain.

"Ziamani was an impressionable young man who became radicalized then rapidly developed an extremist, violent mindset," he said in a statement. "Over a series of months he ultimately developed a desire to carry out a terrorist attack on British soldiers."

Ziamani will be sentenced on March 20.

Last August, Britain raised its international terrorism threat level to the second-highest rating, "severe," meaning an attack is considered highly likely.

Since then, dozens of people have been arrested, including some over alleged plots to behead police officers, soldiers or members of the public. Police across the country have also been warned to be alert to the risk of attack.


Related Content

Breaking news
June 23, 2018
Report: Ramming attack near the Palestinian town of Husan

By JPOST.COM STAFF