Bulgaria may extradite Frenchman with alleged links to Paris attackers

By REUTERS
January 12, 2015 19:59
1 minute read.

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

SOFIA - Bulgaria plans to extradite a Frenchman suspected of knowing or having been in touch with one of the two Islamist militants who shot dead 12 people at the satirical newspaper Charlie Hebdo's offices last week, prosecutors said on Monday.

Using a European arrest warrant alleging that he had abducted his 3-year-old son and was likely to take him to Syria, Bulgarian police arrested Fritz-Joly Joachin, 29, on Jan. 1 at a border checkpoint when he tried to cross into Turkey.

A second European arrest warrant cites his possible association with one of the attackers and "conspiracy in terrorism" but has not yet been officially translated, a spokesman for the Haskovo regional prosecutors' office said.

The chief prosecutors' office in the Bulgarian capital Sofia declined to comment on the content of the second warrant.

The man has agreed to be sent back to France and a Haskovo court will make a final decision on the extradition on Friday, one prosecutor said.

According to the initial arrest warrant, Joachin's wife told authorities on Dec. 30 that he was likely to take their son to Syria, that he had converted to Islam 15 years ago and had become radicalized in recent years.

France said it will mobilize 10,000 soldiers by Tuesday and its defense minister said the country remained at risk of further attacks.

Related Content

Breaking news
August 21, 2018
U.S. State Department thanks Germany for admitting former Nazi collaborator

By JERUSALEM POST STAFF