Cubans call 50-year-old US trade embargo a failure

By REUTERS
February 8, 2012 02:17

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

HAVANA - The 50th anniversary of the US trade embargo against Cuba on Tuesday was met with little fanfare on the island, where most Cubans said it was a failed policy that had succeeded only in making their lives more difficult.

If the embargo was lifted, they would likely live a little better, they said. Some also said lifting the embargo would increase pressure on the Cuban government to fix problems that for years it has blamed on US sanctions.

On Feb. 7, 1962, what had been a partial embargo became a nearly total one as President John F. Kennedy tried to step up pressure on Cuba's fiery young leader, Fidel Castro, who at the height of the Cold War aligned his country with the Soviet Union.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Breaking news
November 15, 2018
Pence: Trump likely to meet Kim in 2019; won't allow broken pledges to end arms

By REUTERS