BREAKING NEWS

Egypt broadens Sinai campaign against militants

CAIRO - Egypt's military said on Wednesday it would broaden its offensive against militants in the Sinai Peninsula.
After militants attacked and killed 16 border guards on Aug. 5, Egypt launched an operation using the army and police to raid militant hideouts, arrest suspects and seize weapons, including rockets and other arms, that are rife in the area.The campaign is led by the defense minister and head of the armed forces, General Abdel Fattah al-Sisi, appointed by Egyptian President Mohamed Morsy in a shake-up of the military top brass on Aug. 12. The Islamist president has promised to restore order.
The Egyptian defense ministry statement on its website said 11 militants had been killed and 23 arrested in the campaign.
Subscribe for our daily newsletter
Subscribe for our daily newsletter

By subscribing I accept the terms of use