Egypt fans protest as stadium stampede verdict nears

By REUTERS
January 18, 2013 19:14

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

CAIRO - Hundreds of soccer fans gathered in Cairo on Friday to demand justice for 74 people killed in a stadium stampede last year, as a court prepared to issue a verdict in the case.

Hostility between Egypt's police and hardcore football fans has simmered for years, but worsened after the disaster last February at the Port Said stadium during a match between Cairo's Al Ahly and local side al-Masry.Many of those killed were crushed when panicked fans tried to escape from the stadium after a post-match pitch invasion by Masry supporters. Others fell or were thrown from terraces, witnesses said.



Many fans accused security forces of causing the disaster to punish them for taking a frontline role in the street revolt that toppled President Hosni Mubarak in 2011.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Breaking news
January 21, 2019
Death toll from Mexico pipeline explosion rises to 89- health minister

By REUTERS