Egyptian man sets himself ablaze in downtown Cairo

By ASSOCIATED PRESS
January 17, 2011 14:32

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again



CAIRO — An Egyptian man set himself on fire Monday outside the country's parliament, security officials said, in an apparent protest emulating the self-immolation of an unemployed Tunisian man last month that helped trigger a popular uprising.




Egyptian security officials said policemen guarding the parliament building in central Cairo used fire extinguishers to quickly put out the blaze engulfing the man, who was later taken to the hospital with burns mostly to his face.




The officials identified the man as Abdou Abdel-Hamid, a small restaurant owner from Qantara, an area close to the Suez Canal city of Ismailia east of Cairo. They said Abdel-Hamid was protesting a government policy preventing restaurant owners from buying cheap subsidized bread to resell to their patrons.


Related Content

Breaking news
August 16, 2018
Islamic State claims deadly Kabul suicide bombing

By REUTERS