Filipinos move from coastal areas on tsunami risk

By REUTERS
March 11, 2011 12:44

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For a symbolic $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user uxperience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew, Ivrit
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Repor
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Don't show it again

MANILA - Hundreds of people in coastal areas in three northern Philippine provinces started moving to higher ground on Friday after the government upgraded its tsunami alert, although there was no official evacuation order.

The Philippine Institute of Volcanology and Seismology (Phivolcs) raised its tsunami alert to level 2, advising people to stay away from shorelines in eastern coastal areas after an 8.9 magnitude earthquake in northeastern Japan.

"We have no actual number of people to be evacuated in the provinces of Cagayan, Isabela and Batanes, but local officials have started moving them to safety," Benito Ramos, head of the disaster agency, told reporters.

Ramos said army trucks had been placed on standby in case the alert level was raised further. Disaster officials said some communities on the southern island of Mindanao had also started fleeing coastal areas facing the Pacific Ocean.


Related Content

Breaking news
June 25, 2018
Britain's May congratulates Erdogan on election victory

By REUTERS