Indonesian president says terror threat remains

By ASSOCIATED PRESS
May 17, 2010 08:21

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later


Indonesia is still under threat from terrorists despite the recent arrests of key insurgents, President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono said Monday.

Yudhoyono said convicted terrorists tend to return to their old practices after completing their prison sentences."Although the key figures who had made our country insecure for the last 10 years have been disabled, terrorism remains a threat because the perpetrators who have been jailed still repeat the same acts," he said.



Police announced last week that they had foiled a plot to assassinate Yudhoyono, take over hotels, kill foreigners and establish an Islamic state.

Police have arrested 58 suspected terrorists and killed 13 in a series of raids since February, when authorities broke up a training camp run by a previously unknown group calling itself al-Qaida in Aceh.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Breaking news
January 16, 2019
US and British citizens among the casualties in Kenya hotel attack

By REUTERS