DUBAI - An Islamist militant group has said it planned a rebel attack on a Syrian air defense base near Aleppo on October 12 and that Chechen fighters took part in the assault, the SITE monitoring group reported late on Friday.
Ninety two government soldiers were killed in battles across Syria on October 12, a pro-opposition monitoring group said at the time, making it one of the bloodiest days for forces loyal to President Bashar Assad since the uprising against him began last year.
In several other statements it posted online on Friday, the group, the Al Nusra Front, also claimed responsibility for an assault on the Hanano barracks in Aleppo and for a raid in Raqqah that killed 32 soldiers, SITE reported.
Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>