Israel emphatically denied on Thursday a report in a London based pan-Arabic daily that it expressed willingness during talks with the Palestinians in Jordan earlier this week to withdraw from some Arab neighborhoods of east Jerusalem.
"It never happened," a senior diplomatic source said, in response to the Al-Quds Al-Arabi story that appeared Wednesday.
The report quoted a PA official saying that Israel gave the Palestinian Authority a document during the meeting in Amman on Tuesday outlining 22 points for the resumption of negotiations toward achieving an end to the conflict.
Nimmer Hammed, an advisor to PA President Mahmoud Abbas, said that Israeli negotiator Yitzhak Molcho gave the paper to PA negotiator Saeb Erekat, and the Palestinians will give their response to the outline when the two sides are scheduled to meet again in Jordan next Friday.
While Hammad refused to give details of the document, Al-Quds Al-Arabi said it learned that the document included an Israeli readiness to withdraw from some east Jerusalem neighborhoods, but refused to withdraw to the pre-1967 lines as the Palestinians have demanded.
Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>