Lebanon: 8 guilty of plotting attacks on UN troops

By
June 20, 2009 19:10

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

A Lebanese military court has convicted eight men of plotting to attack UN peacekeepers in southern Lebanon, a court official said Saturday. Three Palestinians tried in absentia were sentenced to life in prison and five Lebanese in custody were each given three years in Friday's ruling, the official said. He did not provide details of the plot or say whether the men were affiliated with a particular militant group. Several attacks have targeted the UN peacekeeping force in south Lebanon in recent years, though it is unclear who is behind them. In the most deadly attack, a car bomb killed six Spanish peacekeepers in June 2007. No group claimed responsibility, but al-Qaida's deputy chief, Ayman al-Zawahri, praised the attack. In an audio recording, he also called on Sunni militants last year "to expel the invading Crusaders who pretend to be peacekeeping forces in Lebanon and not to accept Resolution 1701."

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Breaking news
September 26, 2018
Danon in response to Rouhani: Iranian actions spread terror

By JPOST.COM STAFF