Libya: Rebels say four killed in Misrata shelling

By REUTERS
April 18, 2011 19:26

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later



BEIRUT - Rebels said four civilians were killed in Misrata on Monday in renewed heavy bombardments by Muammar Gaddafi's forces, but that insurgents made progress on the ground during the day's fighting.




Gemal Salem, a spokesman for the insurgents, also said the death toll from Sunday's shelling had risen to 25 as some of those who had been critically wounded had died. He did not say whether that figure included rebel fighters.




"The shelling today killed 4 civilians and wounded five. This is just the preliminary result, we think it is higher," he told Reuters from the city.




He said Gaddafi's forces were bombarding eastern, western, southern and central parts of Misrata. He also accused them of using cluster bombs, echoing an allegation by the U.S.-based Human Rights Watch last week. The Libyan government, which denies shelling civilians, has also denied this allegation.


Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Breaking news
October 18, 2018
After political stalemate Lebanon president says government will be formed soon

By REUTERS