Missing child found in J'lem forest after 4-hour search

October 8, 2012 20:33
1 minute read.


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user uxperience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew, Ivrit
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Repor
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

The holiday of Simchat Torah started with good news for hundreds of emergency workers and volunteers in Jerusalem on Monday evening, after a  three-old boy went missing in the forest, prompting a massive search that ended successfully. Adam Hemed, 3, wandered away from his family while they were at a playground in the woods near the entrance of the settlement of Har Adar, located northwest of Jerusalem within the Green Line.

His family reported him missing to the police at 3:55 PM. Jerusalem police, border police, paramedics, canine patrols, and firefighters rushed to the scene to try to locate the boy. Magen David Adom notified more than 2,000 volunteers via beeper to join in the search and bring warm clothing.

Volunteers found Adam just after 8:00, hiding between two bushes a few hundred meters from the temporary headquarters set up to assist with the search. According to volunteers who found him, he was terrified and confused but otherwise unhurt. “He didn’t talk and refused to drink,” the volunteer told reporters. “He was so much in shock that he couldn’t react.”

On Monday, Jerusalem police questioned Adam’s father under the suspicion of negligence. He was questioned for a few hours and released, according to deputy police spokeswoman Shlomit Bakshi. However, Bakshi said police believe that Adam simply “wandered off” from the playground, and that his father is not criminally negligent.

Related Content

Breaking news
July 18, 2018
American University on lockdown, reports of armed intruder nearby