BRUSSELS - NATO sees virtually no risk of forces loyal to Muammar Gaddafi mounting a successful attack to regain power and is likely to formally decide this week to end its military mission in Libya, NATO officials said on Monday.
NATO's commander of Libya operations, Lieutenant-General Charles Bouchard, said any Gaddafi backers still in Libya had no capacity to organize since the fall of Sirte, the deposed leader's last stronghold, and his death last week."The threat of organized attack from Gaddafi regime remnants is essentially gone. At this time there are no remaining command and control capabilities that would lead to the return of the regime," Bouchard told a news conference in Naples, Italy.
NATO took a preliminary decision last week to end its seven-month air and sea campaign in Libya on Oct. 31. Alliance envoys are expected to make that formal on Wednesday.