New York prosecutor to retry deli worker for Etan Patz murder

By REUTERS
May 19, 2015 01:18
1 minute read.

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user uxperience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew, Ivrit
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Repor
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

NEW YORK - Pedro Hernandez will be tried again for the 1979 murder of 6-year-old Etan Patz after a mistrial was declared earlier this month because a jury was unable to reach a verdict, Manhattan District Attorney Cyrus Vance Jr. told MSNBC on Monday.

Decades after the boy went missing from his Soho neighborhood in Manhattan, in a case that changed the way the US handles reports of missing children, Hernandez confessed in 2012 to strangling the boy in the basement of a deli where he had worked.

That highly disputed confession, which the defense said was coerced by police from a mentally ill man, was the crux of the state's case against Hernandez, now 54 years old.

"Certainly I intend to retry the case," Vance told MSNBC in an interview broadcast on Monday.

"I think the evidence put in by our prosecutors was compelling and it was clear," he said about the case that resulted in 18 days of jury deliberations in state Supreme Court in Manhattan, believed to be among the longest in state judicial history.

"It is a challenging case. I've never said otherwise. But it is a case that we believe should be prosecuted. In our system, it happens from time to time that jurors cannot be unanimous and this was one of those cases," Vance said.

After the jury for a third time told Justice Maxwell Wiley it was deadlocked, the judge declared a mistrial. At a later media briefing, jurors said 11 of them were in favor of conviction and only one held out for acquittal.

Patz vanished on May 25, 1979 as he walked alone for the first time to a school bus stop. Hernandez later confessed that he lured the boy into the deli with the promise of a soda, choked him and stuffed his still-moving body into a box, leaving it in a New York alley.

The boy's father, Stan Patz, said after the mistrial that the family was "frustrated and very disappointed" by the jury's inability to reach a verdict.

Defense attorney Harvey Fishbein said, "I'm sure the Patz family is very interested in a resolution in this case. We firmly believe Pedro Hernandez is not the right man."

Related Content

Breaking news
July 17, 2018
Trump to meet with members of Congress after summit criticism

By REUTERS