One dead as shelling of Yemeni city continues

By REUTERS
December 3, 2011 14:00

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

SANAA - One activist was killed as government forces shelled Yemen's protest hotbed, Taiz, for a third straight day on Saturday, residents said, despite a call by the country's acting ruler to end the fighting.

The death raised to at least 16 the number of people killed in three days of fighting between troops loyal to outgoing President Ali Abdullah Saleh and opposition fighters.

Saleh handed over power last month to Vice-President Abd-Rabbu Mansour Hadi, seeking to defuse the opposition to his rule, but the violence gave no sign of letting up.

Residents said government forces were using artillery and tank shells and rocket fire in residential areas on Saturday in western Taiz, trapping some 3,000 families in the commercial hub, some 200 km (120 miles) south of the capital Sanaa.

Gunmen loyal to the opposition were responding with medium and light fire, they said.

Related Content

Breaking news
August 19, 2018
Iran defense minister: Iran to unveil new fighter jets

By REUTERS