On Thursday evening, President Shimon Peres called Eilat Mayor Meir Yitzhak Halevi and Eilot Regional Council Head Udi Gut to express his empathy with the residents of the region, and his outrage that such an attack could take place.
Peres told the two local leaders that the attack was part of a series against innocent civilians within Israel's borders, and an attempt to disrupt the routine life of the population.
Peres was absolutely convinced that the IDF will track down the perpetrators
and anyone connected with the what he called "an outrageous terrorist attack" and bring them to justice. He was equally sure that the general public has full confidence in the ability of the IDF to maintain security in the area.
Peres also said that he had been impressed by the swift reaction of rescue operators, doctors, and social workers and expressed condolences to the families of victims of the attack. He also wished a speedy recovery to the injured.