Prosecutors drop all charges against 'abused' Karmiel teen

By
March 3, 2010 13:22
1 minute read.

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user uxperience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew, Ivrit
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Repor
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

Northern District State prosecutors dropped all charges on Wednesday against a 17-year-old American-Israeli youth allegedly subjected to police abuse and repeated gang rape at the Kishon prison near Haifa while being temporarily held in custody last November.

"A strong sense of justice has finally entered into my heart," Lior, the teenager's father, told The Jerusalem Post on Wednesday. "This is only the beginning of more justice that needs to happen, but it is a big first step," he added.

Lior said the family could now focus on the trial against the teenager's alleged attackers in prison, and follow the progress of the Police Investigations Department, which is investigating allegations that Karmiel police officers struck the youth, and which has said that preliminary findings indicate that the teen's complaint was justified.

Last month, prosecutors were given 30 days by a Krayot court to consider a request to drop all charges against the youth, and the Knesset's Interior Affairs and Environment Committee called on the state prosecution to drop all charges.

"I am asking the state prosecution to close this case. This youth does not have faith in state institutions. Take this minimal step,” said Committee Chairman MK David Azulai during the meeting.

Related Content

Breaking news
July 18, 2018
Google says will appeal EU fine

By REUTERS