WASHINGTON - A US military investigation found that American and Afghan commandos wrongly concluded there were no Pakistani forces in a border area where an air strike killed 24 Pakistani troops last month, the Wall Street Journal reported on Thursday.
The investigation, due to be presented to US defense officials on Friday, acknowledges significant US responsibility for the November 26 air strike that deepened mistrust between the United States and Pakistan, the Journal said, citing unidentified US officials familiar with the report.
The uneasy allies faced a series of crises in the past year, including the U.S. raid that killed al Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden on Pakistani soil in May, the closure of NATO supply routes through Pakistan, and the arrest of a CIA contractor.
The US military report supports some main elements in Pakistan's version of events and conflicts with early US accounts that said Pakistanis gave an all-clear before what would become the most deadly friendly-fire accident of the war in Afghanistan, the newspaper said.
Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>