Seven and a half years for east Jerusalem Hamas man

March 27, 2012 17:51
1 minute read.


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief


The Jerusalem District Court sentenced an east Jerusalem resident to seven and a half years in prison on Tuesday after convicting him of a series of security offenses, including membership in Hamas and aggravated grievous bodily harm.

Mohammed Adawayat, a 30-year-old resident of Sur Baher on the southeastern outskirts of Jerusalem, was convicted of membership in a terrorist organization, carrying weapons, producing weapons, and aggravated grievous bodily harm. He admitted the charges against him in a plea bargain.

According to the indictment, Adawayat joined Hamas in 2003 and among other things was trained in how to produce explosive devices.

In March 2011, Adawayat prepared a bomb and detonator designed to be triggered by a cellphone. Adawayat concealed the device in a loaf of bread and intended to plant it in a bus stop on the Jerusalem - Gush Etzion road. However, he changed his mind and discarded the device near the Gilo neighborhood in Jerusalem, where it was discovered by two Jerusalem municipal employees. One of the employees, an 18-year-old, picked up the loaf of bread containing the device, which subsequently exploded and blew off his right forearm.

Adawayat was also ordered to pay the injured man NIS 200,000 compensation.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Breaking news
November 19, 2018
El-Al CEO announces investigative committee to look in to 'horror flight'