Shin Bet rejects abuse allegations as 'smear campaign'

By JPOST.COM STAFF
July 23, 2010 23:51

The Shin Bet (Israel Security Agency) spoke out Friday against allegations of abuse against Haim Pearlman, who is in custody on suspicion of murdering four Arabs and attempting to murder seven more.

Shin Bet said the claims were part of a "smear campaign launched after the suspects arrest." In a statement, the agency said "as part of the proceedings, the suspects were asked of their wellbeing and raised no claims allegedly pertaining to abuse."

Haim Pearlman's lawyer Sharon Nahari claimed that Pearlman had been handcuffed to a chair for up to 16 hours a day while interrogators cursed at him, threatened him, and attacked him.


Related Content

Breaking news
April 25, 2018
Turkish court sentences 15 journalists on terrorism charges

By REUTERS

Israel Weather
  • 13 - 22
    Beer Sheva
    16 - 21
    Tel Aviv - Yafo
  • 12 - 19
    Jerusalem
    15 - 23
    Haifa
  • 18 - 28
    Elat
    16 - 29
    Tiberias